lunes, 5 de enero de 2009

ANITA NAIR: Heart of a gerund/El corazón de un gerundio


Grammar books are deceptive. Just open your mind and walk through pages of one. You will be surprised at what you stumble across...
Unfairness, mostly. So if you thought the world is an unfair place, incomparable to none, just remember this discrimination was created by a human hand. Not by laws of nature, economics or space.
As you pass by, you will see one article is assertive, definite; while the rest are a vacuous watery lot.
You will notice some vowels are rounded, while some consonants are sidelined.
You won’t miss the parasites. The prefix and suffix. Don’t stay there too long or they’ll attach themselves to you.
And then, there is the gerund. Aching to be loved. Wanting to be possessed. Needing to be needed.
But don’t let your heart bleed for her. The gerund doesn't like pity. The gerund has dignity. The gerund knows how to shut herself in. The gerund could be Norah. Stuck in the grammar book of life.

“I am not like them", I want to scream. But Sister Katherine doesn't like screaming either.
“Norah,” she says in that crisp voice of hers. “We follow rules here. If we didn’t, there would be a chaos. You have to put your breakfast set away and use the steel plate and glass like everyone else does.”
Sister Katherine of the starch board blossom and craggy face is the warden for the floor. She carries soup in bowls to the invalid and spoons it into their mouths with the deftness of a machine. In out; in out; with never a drop split, dribbled or spat out.
She woke us up in the morning. Gave us a cup of weak tea. Those of us who knew the taste of better tea, hated it and yet, we drank it gratefully. It woke us up. It did things to our nerves. It stirred our bowels and gave us enough reason to get up from our beds every morning.
Then came breakfast. Idlis, upma, and once a week, porridge. Food for the babies and the old. Food that didn’t require any effort to eat.
"All of us are not lucky enough to have dentures like you, Norah.” Yet another homily from Sister Katherine to troublesome Norah.
She treats us like children. Leading us from one mealtime to the other. From dawn to dusk. From one day to another.

I sit here in the white-painted cane chair and watch the minute hand of the clock crawl on the face of time. There is little else to do. And I wonder why.
When Mummy died, my life seemed to fall apart. Lennie in Kolar and Maxie in Cochin pleaded 'no space for you, sis. Sorry.' When Mummy died, the pension stopped coming. The rent had to be paid. The bills flooded the mailbox. Electricity. Groceries. My nerves cracked up.
When I recovered, the Parish Priest paid me a visit. He suggested I come here. He didn’t say I had nowhere else to go. Nobody did. So it was a decision I made.
I sold Mummy’s furniture. There were hardly any; the boys had carted them away when I was ill. Gave our books to the Catholic Club. Packed a suitcase with few odds and ends.
Things I have had for a lifetime and need to have around me, no matter where I am. An Edward VIII Coronation breakfast set. (Poor Teddy, the Coronation that never was.) A silver spoon. A porcelain cat. The family album. Mummy’s Bible bound in real leather and of course, all my clothes.
It wasn’t easy pulling that door shut. Locking it and walking away. But what else could I do?
A month ago, I was Norah Webber.
Now I’m inmate. No. 62. Destined to live my life out among the senile and destitute. I am not like them. They were sent here. I came here.
Sister Katherine doesn't understand these differences. To her, we are all the same.

The bell rings. It is a huge bronze bell with a peal that reverberates into the farthest room.
Sebastian, the bell keeper is 70 years old. He used to be a watchman, a long time ago. Now he rings the bell to announce a visitor, a stranger, anyone passing through the gates.
Sometimes. he manages to get their attention. He asks them questions he has no business asking. He delays them with quips, queries, instructions and inanities. He is a lonely man, that Sebastian.
The notes of the bell ring in my ears. Ding dong, they go like the clock in Mummy’s parlour...
But oh, oh, what is this?
Bulbs pop, lights flash and through the haze of confusion, I hear Sister Katherine say, “Now, now, don’t work yourself into a state. All he did was to take a photograph of you.”
I can hear my heart beat as they walk away. I press my hands to my lap to stop them from trembling. I start rocking. The rhythmic creaking of the cane chair soothes me. It always has. I think of pleasant things. Like my breakfast set.
The lovely set with the picture of Edward VIII on it. I had it for so long and now, they won’t let me use it. Mummy was the same. “No Norah, it is too much valuable. Put it back into the cabinet right now.” She didn't even like me holding it.
I can see it on a tray laid out with a doily. Buttered toast on the plate. A soft-boiled egg nestling in its cup. The bowl filled with cornflakes. And the cup with strong Lipton Tea.
But Sister Katherine won’t let me, “No, Norah, we can’t have toast and eggs for breakfast. It creates too much of a mess.”
“No, Norah, you have to use the same kind of plates the others do. The maids here can’t be responsible for your china. I can see it is valuable. Give it away or do what you want. But don't leave it lying around.”
I get up and go into the dormitory. My bed is by the window. The window has a huge sill. I lay the set out on the ledge.
Devi comes and stands by my side. She picks up the egg cup and peers into it.
It has been explained to me that Devi suffers from Dementia. Her clock's stuck at twelve. In her mind, she is twelve years old. Waiting for her father and brothers to come home and before she can serve herself any food. Devi is always hungry.
There are flashes of lucidity. But they don’t last.
At first, the family she was working for found it strange but amusing. Devi had been working for them for over 40 years. Then it became embarrassing watching a seventy nine year old woman cavorting like a 12 year old. So they found a place for her here.
Devi walks away with the cup. I don’t protest. I don’t know why. Suddenly nothing seems so precious anymore...
I hear something smash. King Edward who never was king smashed to smithereens. I giggle.
“Look, what you’ve done,” Sister Katherine fumes. “I told you not to leave it around. I can’t be responsible for everyone all the time.”
I look up. Tears run down my cheeks. She thinks I’m crying. “I am not crying.” I assure her.
“I am not upset at all. You are right. Like always. Just like Mummy was. I’ll never leave it lying around again.”
One by one, I pick up the pieces of the set and delicately drop them to the floor.
This one’s for you Mummy for never letting me use your precious china.
This one’s for you, once more Mummy dear, for making me dust them everyday of my life, only to tell me: “Darling, Lennie’s the one who’ll inherit it. He’s my oldest; my heir.”
This one's for you, big brother Lennie, for thinking you’ll inherit it just because you happened to be born first. You never knew that I had hidden it away as soon as Mummy died. You didn't know what happened to it, did you? I saw your foxy-faced wife look for it.
Ping. Ting. Ping. They crash and smash.
Sister Katherine is aghast, Mummy too. But Mummy is dead, so why is she standing beside Sister Katherine?
I think I’m going mad.
I let her push me back onto the pillow. I allow her to run her fingers through my hair. My eyes feel heavy. My mind is listless.
She croons, “Hush, hush.”
As I drift off, I think in those linear contours, there is gentleness too.

Sometime has passed since the day. Was it a month, or, two months ago, I don’t remember. I can’t even remember what I ate two days ago.
The bell rings. Sebastian died a while ago. He fell asleep one night and never woke up again. The new bell-keeper is Naidu. Unlike Sebastian, he is a taciturn creature. He hates children, dogs, strangers, everybody.
He had a good job. When he retired, he used up all his money to build a house. He was a widower, so he invited his daughter and her husband to stay with him. He bequeathed the house to his grandchild.
After that they had no use for him. In many different ways they made their resentment clear. Until he asked them, begged them to send him away.
Anywhere.
Naidu turned against people after that. He quarrelled with everybody at the home here. The sisters grew so tired of restraining him that when Sebastian's slot fell vacant, they gave it to him gladly. He sits in his little hutch there, glaring at the world transforming his hate into bell-notes every time someone walks in through the gate.
There is a parrot in a cage. Polly, the parrot, talks. Like most of us here, she talks to herself.
After sometime, it doesn’t matter if there is anyone to hear what we have to say. It is enough if it is spoken. Woes aired; grievances muttered...
I start as someone taps my shoulder. Sister Katherine and a stranger. He smiles. She says, “Congratulations, Norah!”
She sees the question in my eyes. “Don’t you remember him taking your photograph? Well, your photograph has won him a national award. He’s won twenty thousand rupees and he's donating every rupee of it to our fund.”
I smile at him. He’s ugly. Short, stocky and sallow. His eyes bulge out. But when he smiles, it is with his whole being. I decide he seems alright.
Sister Katherine pats me on my back and walks away. He doesn’t. He continues to stand there.
“What can I do for you?” He asks softly. I look up. What could he do for me?
“Oh, I don’t need anything here. But thank you.”
“No, there must be something,” he insists.
“Will you... will you come in and talk to me once in a while?” It pops out before I can stop it.
He reaches out to take my hand. I like the feel of my palm in his. His stubby fingers exude a certain warmth. Suddenly the crinkled, dry, papery skin of my hand feels like a young girl’s. Delicate. Soft. And smooth. I would like this moment to last forever.
Sister Katherine comes out onto the veranda where I sit with the young man. “Would you like to join us for lunch?” she asks.
He nods.
We go to the dining room. There are rows of long tables with chairs. Most of us here can still feed ourselves. For once, the food doesn’t smell like vomit.
I can feel the young man’s eyes dart, taking in everything. I try to see us as he must see us.
I see old men and women cramming food into their mouths. Slobbering, dribbling, splattering crumbs. I see the shaking hands and toothless mouths. I see the greed in their eyes.
I stand up unable to watch him watching us, “I need to go. I don’t feel too well. Excuse me, excuse me,” I say, as I push my chair back.
Sister Katherine’s eyes follow me to the door. But I keep going.

For several weeks, the young man visited me every Sunday afternoon. The first time, he brought me a box of cakes. Pineapple cream.
Sister Katherine doesn't like gifts for food. She must have said something, because he never brought me any cake again.
But he brought me other things. A pair of slippers. A bar of lavender soap. Magazines and even a cashmere shawl.
I don't remember what we talked about. For an hour, every week, he sat by my side. Talking, joking, listening, sharing. Making me feel like the most wanted person on earth. And for the rest of the week, memories of this hour would alleviate my loneliness.
Reminiscing about what we spoke. Planning titbits of conversation. Working myself into a state of nervous excitement until he walked in.
A few hours ago I was sitting on my bed, thinking of interesting things to say to him when Narsamma came in. Clutching a candy ball in her grimy paw.
She is a little senile. She called me, “missy”, and tagged after me. She pressed the candy ball into my hand and said, “Eat it. I saved it for you.” She wouldn’t stop saying it until I did.
I put it into my mouth where neither tongue nor cheek would have anything to do with. I heaved. I thought I was going to throw up.
Then Narsamma said, “Missy, your photo’s on the notice board.”
I swallowed her candy ball in surprise. Then skipped up the veranda, across the quadrangle, skirting the chapel and flower bed before I reached the notice board.
It was a clipping from a newspaper with a photograph of a woman.
Straggly hair. Wrinkles. Lines and blotches. Eyes vacant. Hands that were forever tying and opening knots in a handkerchief. He hadn't missed a thing. Even the liver spots.
It was the portrait of an old woman. The study of a destitute old woman with no place to go or anything to do.
An old woman who sat shrouded in loneliness, mumbling to herself... I stumbled back to my cane chair. My legs were shaking. I began rocking.
I watched the crows swooping in and out. The crows were not scared of us. All we could do were flail our arms helplessly. Even the crows knew that.
I felt betrayed. I felt ugly. I felt old and lonely and knew there was nothing I could do about it. Except maybe shut these images out of my mind.
When Sister Katherine came out to feed Polly, I said, “Sister Katherine, I don’t want that young man visiting me anymore.”
She raised her eye brows. “But why? He was your only visitor.”
“He asks too many questions. He tires me out with his talking. He wants to know about Mummy, my brothers. And then, when he's gone, they come back to haunt me. My head starts hurting, my heart beats faster... ” I started to cry.
Sister Katherine kept patting me on my back, but I couldn't stop crying.

I lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling. The sun finds its way through the window bars and dapples the floor. The other three people in the room are asleep.
It is a Saturday. A Saturday afternoon.
The bell rings.
I close my eyes. A lifetime later, I hear footsteps down the corridor. They stop near my window.
If I reach out, I can touch him. I can smell his cologne. I can hear him breathe. I can feel the beat of his heart. I can sense the pity he has for me.
He looks at me for how long I don’t know. Then he walks away.
When the footsteps fade into the distance, I open my eyes.
And close them once again, I try to sleep. What else is there for me to do?


Extracted from 'Satyr of the subway & eleven other stories". Published in India 1997 by Har-Anand Publications



Los libros de gramática son engañosos. Abre tu mente y da un paseo por las páginas de alguno. Te sorprenderá lo que vas a encontrar...
Injusticia, sobre todo. Así que si crees que el mundo es un lugar injusto, sin comparación a ningún otro, recuerda que esta discriminación fue creada por la mano del hombre. No por leyes de la naturaleza, ni de la economía, ni del espacio.
Al pasar, verás que unos artículos son firmes, determinados; mientras los demás son un cúmulo deslavazado e insustancial.
Te darás cuenta de que algunas vocales son redondeadas, mientras algunas consonantes son dejadas de lado.
No pasarás por alto los parásitos. Los prefijos y sufijos. No te quedes ahí mucho tiempo o se pegarán a ti.
Y entonces, aparece el gerundio. Ansiando ser amado. Deseando ser poseído. Necesitando que lo necesiten.
Pero no te compadezcas de él. Al gerundio no le gusta la compasión. El gerundio tiene dignidad. El gerundio sabe cómo aislarse. El gerundio podría ser Norah. Atrapada en el libro de gramática de la vida.

“No soy como ellos”, quiero gritar. Pero a la hermana Katherine tampoco le gustan los gritos.
“Norah”, dice con esa voz seca suya. “Aquí seguimos las reglas. Si no lo hiciéramos, sería un caos. Tienes que guardar tu juego de desayuno y usar el plato y el vaso de acero como todos los demás”.
La hermana Katherine del pecho de tabla de almidón y la cara surcada es la guardiana del suelo. Lleva la sopa en tazones a los inválidos y se la da de comer en la boca con la habilidad de una máquina. Dentro fuera; dentro fuera; y nunca una gota derramada, chorreada o escupida.
Ella nos despertaba por la mañana. Nos daba una taza de té poco cargado. Los que conocíamos el sabor de un té mejor lo odiábamos y, aun así, lo bebíamos agradecidos. Nos despertaba. Nos agitaba por dentro. Nos revolvía las tripas y nos daba motivos suficientes para levantarnos de la cama cada mañana.
Después llegaba el desayuno. Idlis (1), upma (2) y, una vez por semana, avena. Comida para los bebés y los ancianos. Comida que no requería ningún esfuerzo comer.
“Todos no somos tan afortunados de tener dentadura postiza como tú, Norah”. Otro sermón más de la hermana Katherine para perturbar a Norah.
Nos trata como a niños. Guiándonos de una comida a la otra. Del alba al anochecer. De un día a otro.

Me siento aquí en la silla de mimbre pintada de blanco y miro la manecilla de los minutos del reloj arrastrarse por la cara del tiempo. Hay poco más que hacer. Y me pregunto por qué.
Cuando Mamá murió, mi vida pareció desmoronarse. Lennie en Kolar (3) y Maxie en Cochin (4) replicaron “no hay espacio para ti, hermanita. Lo sentimos”. Cuando Mamá murió, la pensión dejó de llegar. Había que pagar el alquiler. Las facturas inundaban el buzón. Electricidad. Alimentos. Mis nervios sucumbieron a la presión.
Cuando me recuperé, el párroco me hizo una visita. Él me sugirió que viniera aquí. No dijo que no tuviera otro sitio donde ir. Nadie lo dijo. Así que fue una decisión que yo tomé.
Vendí los muebles de Mamá. No había casi ninguno; los chicos se los habían llevado cuando yo estaba enferma. Doné nuestros libros al Club Católico (5). Metí en una maleta unos cuantos trastos y cachivaches.
Cosas que he tenido durante toda una vida y que necesito tener conmigo, no importa dónde esté. Un juego de desayuno de la Coronación de Eduardo VIII. (Pobre Edu, una Coronación que nunca sucedió). Una cuchara de plata. Un gato de porcelana. El álbum de la familia. La Biblia de Mamá, encuadernada en piel auténtica y, por supuesto, toda mi ropa.
No fue fácil cerrar esa puerta. Echar la llave y alejarse. ¿Pero qué otra cosa podía hacer?
Hace un mes, yo era Norah Webber.
Ahora soy una interna. La número 62. Destinada a pasar mi vida entre los seniles y los indigentes. Yo no soy como ellos. Ellos fueron enviados aquí. Yo vine.
La hermana Katherine no entiende estas diferencias. Para ella, todos somos iguales.

Suena la campana. Es una enorme campana de bronce con un repique que reverbera hasta la habitación más lejana.
Sebastian, el encargado de la campana, tiene 70 años. Antes era vigilante, hace mucho tiempo. Ahora toca la campana para anunciar a un visitante, a un extraño, a cualquiera que pasa por las puertas.
A veces consigue llamar su atención. Les hace preguntas que no le incumben. Les entretiene con ocurrencias, dudas, instrucciones y sandeces. Es un hombre solitario ese Sebastian.
Las notas de la campana resuenan en mis oídos. Ding dong, igual que el reloj del salón de Mamá...
Pero oh, oh... ¿qué es esto?
Saltan los focos, destellan las luces y entre la confusión oigo a la hermana Katherine decir, “Oye, no te pongas así. Lo único que ha hecho es sacarte una foto”.
Puedo oír el latido de mi corazón mientras se alejan. Aprieto las manos contra mi regazo para que dejen de temblar. Comienzo a balancearme. El rítmico chirriar de la silla de mimbre me tranquiliza. Siempre lo ha hecho. Pienso en cosas agradables. Como mi juego de desayuno.
El precioso juego con la imagen de Eduardo VIII. Lo había tenido durante tanto tiempo y ahora no me iban a dejar usarlo. Mamá decía lo mismo. “No, Norah, es demasiado valioso. Ponlo otra vez en la vitrina ahora mismo”. A ella ni siquiera le gustaba que lo cogiera.
Puedo verlo sobre una bandeja dispuesta con un tapete. Una tostada con mantequilla en el plato. Un huevo pasado por agua descansando en su huevera. El tazón lleno de copos de maíz. Y la taza con té Lipton cargado.
Pero la hermana Katherine no me dejará, “No, Norah, no podemos tomar tostada y huevos para desayunar. Crea demasiado desorden”.
“No, Norah, tienes que usar el mismo tipo de platos que los demás. Aquí las criadas no pueden hacerse responsables de tu porcelana. Veo que es valiosa. Regálala o haz lo que quieras. Pero no la dejes por ahí”.
Me levanto y voy al dormitorio. Mi cama está al lado de la ventana. La ventana tiene un alféizar muy grande y acomodo el juego en la repisa.
Devi entra y se queda a mi lado. Coge la huevera y la escudriña. Me han contado que Devi sufre de demencia. Su reloj se quedó parado a los doce. En su mente, ella tiene doce años. Esperando a que su padre y sus hermanos lleguen a casa y antes de que pueda servirse la comida ella sola. Devi siempre tiene hambre.
Hay momentos de lucidez. Pero no duran mucho.
Al principio, la familia para la que trabajaba lo encontraba extraño pero divertido. Devi había trabajado para ellos durante más de 40 años. Después se hizo embarazoso ver a una anciana de setenta y nueve años retozar como una niña de doce. Así que encontraron un lugar para ella aquí.
Devi se aleja con la huevera. No protesto. No se por qué. De repente nada parece ya tan valioso...
Oigo que algo se rompe. El Rey Eduardo que nunca fue rey hecho añicos. Me da la risa tonta.
“Mira lo que has hecho”. La hermana Katherine está que echa humo. “Te dije que no lo dejaras por ahí. No puedo hacerme cargo de todo el mundo todo el tiempo”.
Miro hacia arriba. Las lágrimas corren por mis mejillas. Ella cree que estoy llorando. “No estoy llorando”, le aseguro.
“No estoy disgustada, para nada. Tienes razón. Como siempre. Igual que Mamá. Nunca lo dejaré por ahí otra vez”.
Una a una, cojo las piezas del juego y con delicadeza las dejo caer al suelo.
Esta es por ti, Mamá, por no dejarme nunca usar tu preciosa porcelana.
Esta es por ti, otra vez, querida Mamá, por hacerme quitarle el polvo todos los días de mi vida para después decirme, “Cariño, Lennie es el que va a heredarla. Él es el mayor, mi heredero”.
Esta es por ti, Lennie, mi hermano mayor, por creer que la heredarías sólo por el hecho de haber nacido antes. Nunca te enteraste de que la había escondido tan pronto como Mamá murió. No supiste qué había sido de ella, ¿verdad? Vi cómo la víbora de tu mujer la buscaba.
Clonc. Plaf. Clonc. Se estrellan y se rompen.
La hermana Katherine está horrorizada. Mamá también. Pero Mamá está muerta, así que, ¿por qué está ahí de pie detrás de la hermana Katherine?
Creo que me estoy volviendo loca.
Dejo que ella me empuje contra la almohada. Le permito que pase sus dedos por mi pelo. Siento los ojos pesados. Mi cabeza está débil.
Ella me arrulla, “Calla, calla”.
Mientras me quedo dormida, pienso en esos contornos lineales, también hay delicadeza en eso.

Ha pasado algún tiempo desde ese día. Si fue hace un mes, o hace dos, no me acuerdo. Ni siquiera puedo recordar lo que comí hace dos días.
La campana suena. Sebastian murió hace un tiempo. Se quedó dormido una noche y nunca volvió a despertarse. El nuevo encargado de la campana es Naidu. Al contrario que Sebastian, es un ser taciturno. Odia a los niños, a los perros, a los extraños, a todo el mundo.
Él tenía un buen trabajo. Cuando se jubiló, empleó todo su dinero para construir una casa. Era viudo, así que invitó a su hija y a su marido a que se quedaran con él. Y legó la casa a su nieto.
Después de eso no pudieron aguantarle. Le mostraron su rencor de muchas maneras diferentes. Hasta que él les pidió, les suplicó, que le enviaran a otro sitio. A cualquier lugar.
Nadiu se volvió hostil a la gente después de aquello. Se peleaba con todo el mundo aquí en el hogar. Las hermanas se cansaron tanto de controlarle que cuando el puesto de Sebastian quedó vacante, se lo dieron con mucho gusto. Él se sienta ahí en su pequeño cuchitril, mirando al mundo enfurecido, transformando su odio en toques de campana cada vez que alguien pasa por la puerta.
Hay una cotorra en una jaula. Polly, la cotorra, habla. Como la mayoría de nosotros aquí, habla consigo misma.
Después de un tiempo, no importa si no hay nadie que escuche lo que tenemos que decir. Es suficiente con decirlo. Los males aireados; las quejas masculladas...
Alguien me da un golpecito en el hombro y me sobresalto. La hermana Katherine y un extraño. Él sonríe. Ella dice, “¡Enhorabuena, Norah!”.
Puede ver la incertidumbre en mis ojos. “¿No recuerdas que él te sacó una foto? Pues bien, tu foto le ha hecho ganar un premio nacional. Ha ganado veinte mil rupias y lo va a donar todo a nuestro fondo”.
Le sonrío. Es feo. Bajito, fornido y cetrino. Los ojos se le salen de las órbitas. Pero cuando sonríe, lo hace con todo su ser. Decido que me cae bien.
La hermana Katherine me da una palmada en la espalda y se aleja. Él no. Sigue ahí parado.
“¿Qué puedo hacer por ti?”. Pregunta con gentileza. Le miro. ¿Qué podría hacer él por mí?
“Oh, aquí no necesito nada. Pero gracias”.
“No, debe de haber algo”, insiste.
“¿Vendrías... vendrías a hablar conmigo de vez en cuando?”. Se me escapa antes de que pueda detenerlo.
Extiende su mano para coger la mía. Me gusta el tacto de mi palma contra la suya. Sus dedos regordetes emanan un cierto afecto. De repente, la piel arrugada, seca y acartonada de mi mano parece la de una muchacha. Delicada. Suave. Y tersa. Me gustaría que este momento durara para siempre.
La hermana Katherine sale a la galería donde estoy sentada con el joven.
“¿Le gustaría quedarse a comer con nosotros?”, pregunta.
Él asiente con la cabeza.
Vamos al comedor. Hay filas de largas mesas con sillas. La mayoría de nosotros aún podemos valernos para comer sin ayuda. Por una vez, la comida no huele a vómito.
Puedo notar la mirada del joven recorriéndolo todo, sin perderse un detalle. Intento vernos como él nos ve.
Veo a ancianos atiborrándose de comida. Salivando, babeando, salpicando todo de migas. Veo las manos temblorosas y las bocas desdentadas. Veo la gula en sus ojos.
Me levanto, incapaz de ver cómo él nos observa. “Tengo que irme. No me encuentro muy bien. Discúlpeme, discúlpeme”. Digo mientras aparto la silla.
Los ojos de la hermana Katherine me siguen hasta la puerta. Pero yo continúo.

Durante varias semanas, el joven me visitaba todos los sábados por la tarde. La primera vez me trajo una caja de pasteles. Crema de piña.
A la hermana Katherine no le gusta que se regale comida. Debe de haberle dicho algo, porque nunca volvió a traerme ningún pastel.
Pero me traía otras cosas. Un par de zapatillas. Una pastilla de jabón de lavanda. Revistas, e incluso un mantón de cachemir.
No me acuerdo de qué hablábamos. Durante una hora, cada semana, se sentaba a mi lado. Hablando, bromeando, escuchando, compartiendo. Haciéndome sentir como la persona más querida del mundo. Y durante el resto de la semana, los recuerdos de esa hora aliviaban mi soledad.
Recordando las cosas que decíamos. Planeando pedacitos de conversación. Inmersa en un estado de nerviosismo hasta que venía.
Hace unas horas estaba sentada en mi cama, pensando en cosas interesantes que poder decirle, cuando Narsamma entró. Con una bola de caramelo en su mugrienta mano.
Está un poco senil. Me llamaba ‘nena’ y me seguía a todas partes. Me metió el caramelo en la mano y dijo, “Cómetelo. Lo he guardado para ti”. No paró de decirlo hasta que lo hice.
Me lo metí en la boca, donde ni la lengua ni los carrillos podían hacer nada con él. Di una arcada. Creí que iba a vomitar.
Entonces Narsamma dijo, “Nena, tu foto está en el tablón de anuncios”.
De la impresión me tragué el caramelo. Salí brincando de la galería, a través del patio interior, bordeando la capilla y el parterre antes de llegar al tablón de anuncios.
Era un recorte de periódico con la fotografía de una mujer.
El pelo desgreñado. Arrugas. Surcos y rojeces. La mirada ausente. Las manos que no dejaban de atar y desatar nudos en un pañuelo. No se había dejado ni un detalle. Incluso las manchas de la edad.
Era el retrato de una anciana. El estudio de una anciana indigente sin un lugar donde ir ni nada que hacer.
Una anciana envuelta en soledad, farfullando consigo misma... volví a trompicones a mi silla de mimbre. Mis piernas estaban temblando. Empecé a mecerme.
Observé a los cuervos abatirse y alejarse. Los cuervos no tenían miedo de nosotros. Todo lo que podíamos hacer era agitar los brazos en vano. Hasta los cuervos sabían eso.
Me sentí traicionada. Me sentí fea. Me sentí vieja y sola, y sabía que no había nada que pudiera hacer al respecto. Excepto quizás ahuyentar esas imágenes de mi cabeza.
Cuando la hermana Katherine salió a dar de comer a Polly, le dije, “hermana Katherine, no quiero que ese joven me visite más”.
Arqueó las cejas. “Pero, ¿por qué? Era tu única visita”.
“Hace demasiadas preguntas. Me agota con su charla. Quiere saber acerca de Mamá, de mis hermanos. Y luego, cuando se ha ido, regresan para atormentarme. La cabeza empieza a dolerme, mi corazón late más deprisa...”. Empecé a llorar. La hermana Katherine seguía dándome palmadas en la espalda, pero no podía dejar de llorar...

Me tumbo en la cama y me quedo mirando al techo. El sol encuentra un hueco a través de los barrotes de la ventana y mancha el suelo. Las otras tres personas de la habitación están dormidas.
Es sábado. Sábado por la tarde.
La campana suena.
Cierro los ojos. Una vida después, oigo pisadas por el pasillo. Se paran cerca de mi ventana.
Si extiendo la mano, puedo tocarle. Puedo oler su colonia. Puedo oírle respirar. Puedo sentir el latido de su corazón. Puedo notar la pena que siente por mí.
Me mira, no sé por cuánto tiempo. Después se aleja.
Cuando las pisadas se pierden en la distancia, abro los ojos.
Y los cierro otra vez, intento dormir. ¿Qué otra cosa puedo hacer?


(1) Idlis: dulce típico del sur de la India, hecho de alubias y arroz.
(2) Upma: aperitivo hindú, consistente en una base de sémola o arroz y verduras.
(3) Kolar: ciudad del estado de Karnataka, al sur de la India, famosa por sus minas de oro.
(4) Cochin: oficialmente Kochi, es una localidad en el estado indio de Kerala.
(5) Club Católico: una de las asociaciones más antiguas de Bangalore, en el estado hindú de Karnataka


Extraído de 'Satyr of the subway & eleven other stories". Publicado en India 1997 por Har-Anand Publications

1 comentario:

Carne Radioactiva dijo...

Déjate llevar por Pérez Prado: http://moraliaminima.blogspot.com/